Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mango Sticky Rice

Mango Sticky Rice is one of Tim's and my favorite desserts.  I had never had Thai food until I met Tim (his father served his mission in Thailand so his family LOVES Thai food) and I must say that I am completely hooked now. The other day at the store there was a good deal on mangoes so we got a couple.  There are lots of different recipes for Mango Sticky Rice.  I'd used one before that only called for 1 can of coconut milk, and you cooked the rice in half of it.  This recipe calls for 2 cans, but it is SO SO SO GOOD.  Basically, you cook the rice and then make the sauce minus the cornstarch and mix that up with the rice so it's really coconutty and sweet.  Then you use the rest of the coconut milk for the sauce to go on top.  I really liked this recipe so I thought I would share this family favorite with all of you. It's also on my dessert board.


Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups uncooked short-grain white rice
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
  • 3 mangos, peeled and sliced
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Directions

  1. Combine the rice and water in a saucepan; bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer until water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes.
  2. While the rice cooks, mix together 1 1/2 cups coconut milk, 1 cup sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a saucepan over medium heat; bring to a boil; remove from heat and set aside. Stir the cooked rice into the coconut milk mixture; cover. Allow to cool for 1 hour.
  3. Make a sauce by mixing together 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and the tapioca starch in a saucepan; bring to a boil.
  4. Place the sticky rice on a serving dish. Arrange the mangos on top of the rice. Pour the sauce over the mangos and rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.(I never put sesame seeds on top)

No comments:

Post a Comment