Monday, June 11, 2012

Meat Loaf

What?! Yeah-I made meat loaf.  I never had meat loaf growing up (maybe once in 18 years) and I have never made it before.  One of my coworkers told me how she made it for her husband the other night, and my sister has made this awesome weight watchers recipe (like the best meatloaf I've ever had)-so I decided to try it out.  I'm not sure if this is the recipe my sister uses, because I think there's more veggies in her recipe, but the recipe I used was really good too.Original recipe here or on my cooking board.

Again, I made some substitutions. I didn't have turkey so I used beef. I didn't have peppers but I used some celery. And I added some shredded carrots.  And it was GOOD! Oh I'm getting so excited about trying out these different recipes and cooking.  I've got a baby in my belly and I'm cooking-I'm officially feeling domestic! YES! And it got Tim's approval again-HUZZAH!


Ingredients

Instructions

  • Preheat oven to 350°F.
  • Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Cool.
  • Combine onion mixture, cheese and next 6 ingredients in a large bowl; toss to moisten bread. Crumble turkey over onion mixture; stir just until blended.
  • Pack meat mixture into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes. Combine 1⁄2 cup ketchup, brown sugar and mustard in a small bowl; stir well.
  • Spread ketchup mixture over meat loaf and bake an additional 5 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.
  • Remove meat loaf from pan. Cut into 10 slices. Yield: 5 servings (serving size: 2 slices). 





No comments:

Post a Comment