Friday, June 8, 2012

Black Bean Burgers

I think the Black Bean Burgers are what first started me on my new recipe trying phase.  I had kind of started feeling better and wanted to impress Tim by not only cooking, but trying something new. I'd been really wanting to try out black bean burgers for a while too from my pinterest cooking board.

So this was how it went. I didn't have any peppers, not a ton of fresh cilantro, didn't even realize it called for coconut flour (definitely just used regular flour), didn't have avocado for the end, and instead of using chili powder I had cayenne powder-I think that was the worst mistake; they were a little too spicy.  All in all, the burgers weren't too bad though.  We topped them with cheese and veggies, but they were a little spicy.  I'm sure this girls original recipe is much better than what we did, but we ate them anyway.  The worst part was right after I ate my burger I threw all of it back up again-EVERYTHING.  The silver lining-that was my last time that I'd thrown up (15 weeks pregnant)-WHOHOO!



Black Bean Burger (original recipe here)
Ingredients
Butter
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/3 cup anaheim peppers, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup coconut flour
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
2 slices cheese
1 avocado
Sprinkle of kosher salt

Directions
1. Heat a pat of butter in a saute pan. Add the onions and peppers, and cook until they are just beginning to brown. Add the garlic, and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
2. Transfer the onion mixture to a food processor. Add the cilantro, and process for just a few pulses until the mixture is roughly chopped. Add the beans, and pulse just a few more times until the beans are broken down but still in small chunks. You do not want a smooth puree.
3. Transfer the bean mixture to a bowl, and add the coconut flour, egg, chili powder, cumin, and a sprinkle of salt. Mix well, and form the mixture into four burgers.
4. Heat another pat of butter in the saute pan over medium heat. Add the burgers, and cook for approximately 3 minutes to brown. Flip the burgers when they are brown. Add the cheese, cover the pan, and cook for an additional 3 minutes.
5. While the burgers are cooking, mash the avocado in a bowl. Add a sprinkle of salt, and stir to combine.
6. Serve the burgers topped with the mashed avocado.

1 comment: