Thursday, June 7, 2012

Thai Peanut Chicken

I'm on a kick; posting some of the good recipes I've recently tried. Here's another one I got from my pinterest crockpot board. It was really yummy-totally tasted like Thai food. And Tim and I love Thai food-so I this was a success and will be happening again. I think I would add a little more peanut butter next time around though.  I basically followed this recipe as it said except that I didn't have peppers (Tim doesn't like them anyway) so instead I added a potato that I chopped up really small. Recipe found at Better Homes and Gardens here.




Hot and Spicy Braised Peanut Chicken


Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 30 mins Cook: 5 hrs to 6 hrs(low) or 2-1/2 to 3 hours (high) Stand: 5 mins
  • 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges (I used one big onion)
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced carrot (3 medium)
  • 1 small red sweet pepper, cut into bite-size strips
  • 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel (I didn't have lime peel so I just added extra lime juice)
  • 2 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
  • 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger (I didn't have fresh  so I just used the ginger powder I had)
  • 2 - 3 teaspoons red curry past
  • 4 garlic, minced
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • Hot cooked rice
  • Chopped peanuts (optional)
  • Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
Directions
1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, place onions, carrot, and sweet pepper. Top with chicken. In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, peanut butter, lime peel, lime juice, soy sauce, tapioca, ginger, curry paste, and garlic until smooth. Pour over all in cooker.
2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in coconut milk and peas. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
3. Serve chicken mixture over hot cooked rice. If desired, sprinkle each serving with chopped peanuts and cilantro. Makes 6 servings.

Nutrition Facts (Hot and Spicy Braised Peanut Chicken)
  • Servings Per Recipe 6,Calories 444,Protein (gm) 37,Carbohydrate (gm) 39,Fat, total (gm) 15,Cholesterol (mg) 126,Saturated fat (gm) 7,Monosaturated fat (gm) 4,Polyunsaturated fat (gm) 3,Dietary Fiber, total (gm) 4,Sugar, total (gm) 7,Vitamin A (IU) 5491,Vitamin C (mg) 30,Thiamin (mg) 0,Riboflavin (mg) 0,Niacin (mg) 14,Pyridoxine (Vit. B6) (mg) 1,Folate (µg) 125,Cobalamin (Vit. B12) (µg) 1,Sodium (mg) 708,Potassium (mg) 740,Calcium (DV %) 71,Iron (DV %) 4,Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

2 comments:

  1. This looks sooo good! I'm totally going to have to try it. I'm thinking while I'm in Utah you'll have to show me some of your recipes! (we could have a girls cooking school while the boys wrestle the children ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was really good-and that sounds SO fun! I can't wait until you guys/everyone is all here (minus Annamariah). Having a big family reunion bash is going to be great!

    ReplyDelete