Thursday, September 6, 2012

Memorial Service for Rolland Hopkins

Tim and I had the great opportunity to go to a memorial service of a man from my home ward in Lakeview, Rolland Hopkins.  Rolland was one of the "original" members of the ward. I don't really know the whole story of if they really were members of the first ward when Lakeview got a ward, but I think that is the story.  Joyce Collins, George Weebe, and Rolland as far as I know were in that group.  Anyway though, it was really neat to go to his memorial and learn more about his life and also to see his family.


One of the best stories I remember about him growing up was that he cracked a teaching manual over the heads of Steven McFarland and Jake Bybee when they were being punks in his primary class.   I also remember that he was  really nice most of the time, and a total sweetie when he got remarried when he was older.  He was very sweet to his wife.

The spirit was really strong at the memorial. His family shared wonderful stories about him and there was an absolutely beautiful song sung.


I didn't know this story but he met his wife when he was stationed over in England with the military. He at first gave her a fake name because he and his friends joked and didn't make strong attachments with the girls he flirted with. She was a member of the church and he later joined the church because of her. (I may be wrong on some of these details, I'm writing this post about a year later.)  Weren't they beautiful people though? 






No comments:

Post a Comment